Friday, June 17, 2005

[World Soccer Club] Digest Number 1521

There are 11 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Van Persie to be held for two weeks
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
2. Mancini happy with 9th Coppa Italia win
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
3. Nervy Germans win cup cracker
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
4. European Club Football Ranking (June 13th)
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
5. Netherlands close in on lead trio
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
6. Re: Nervy Germans win cup cracker
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
7. Re: Netherlands close in on lead trio
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
8. Brazil and Mexico Win
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
9. Re: Nervy Germans win cup cracker
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
10. Re: Brazil and Mexico Win
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
11. 'Ice-pick that killed Trotsky' found in Mexico
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:08:17 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Van Persie to be held for two weeks

Dutch police have been granted permission to hold Arsenal's Robin van
Persie for a further two weeks while they investigate allegations of
rape.

The 21-year-old forward, who is married, was arrested in Rotterdam on
Monday after a woman alleged she was attacked on Saturday evening.

A judge granted the prosecution's request to hold the former Feyenoord
player for two weeks, although this does not necessarily mean he'll be
charged.

******************************

He should be punished with a transfer to Spurs :p

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:21:13 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Mancini happy with 9th Coppa Italia win

The Nerazzurri's coach dedicated the win to Moratti and the fans.

Roberto Mancini is closing in on Eriksson's record of 4 Coppa Italia
wins as a coach as Mancio won his 9th total Italian cup, 6 as a
player and 3 as a coach.

"I'm happy for this won trophy. I would like to dedicate it to the
Moratti family and the fans, who deserve it. Let's hope that this win
is only the first one in a long series."

This was also the first trophy for Inter in the past 7 years, with
the last one being the Uefa Cup in the 1997/98 season.

Last finals:
1999/00 Lazio 2-1 0-0 Inter
2000/01 Fiorentina 1-0 1-1 Parma
2001/02 Parma 1-2 1-0 Juventus
2002/03 Milan 4-1 2-2 Roma
2003/04 Lazio 2-0 2-2 Juventus
2004/05 Inter 2-0 1-0 Roma

Winners
9 Juventus
7 Roma
6 Fiorentina
5 Milan, Torino
4 Internazionale, Lazio, Sampdoria

***************************************

Not a bad season for Inter after all.
Still with those players they will have to fight for the scudetto!

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:24:08 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Nervy Germans win cup cracker

Germany beat Australia 4-3 in Frankfurt on Wednesday evening to get
the 2005 Confederations' Cup up and running with a bang.

While Argentina kicked the tournament off with a 2-1 win over Tunisia
earlier in the day, the real business got underway at the Waldstadion
with Jürgen Klinsmann's hosts entertaining Australia in the second of
Group A's opening round of fixtures.

A large crowd was treated to a rollercoaster first half with Kevin
Kuranyi deflecting an Arne Friedrich drive past Mark Schwarzer after
17 minutes. However, the Australians had started well and responded
immediately when Josip Skoko drilled a free-kick under the German
wall and past a despairing Oliver Kahn. Torsten Frings had much to
blush over for it was the Werder Bremen man who was largely at fault
for undermining his goalkeeper's defensive barrier. Indeed, Frings's
display was lacking in all departments early on as his inability to
make any impression on the game hampered Michael Ballack's attempts
to take control of the midfield. Despite the set-back, Germany showed
tremendous heart in hitting back within minutes. Per Mertesacker
volleyed home emphatically after excellent attacking play from Bernd
Schneider. Yet the hosts had not learned their lesson and were hauled
back on 31 minutes after some lovely combination play bisected their
rearguard and presented John Aloisi with the opportunity to finish
past an exposed Kahn. The former Coventry City and Portsmouth striker
obliged with glee to leave the Waldstadion in a state of unrest as
the first period ended.

Australia's midfield supremacy disappeared with the interval, and a
fired-up Germany finally began to exert genuine control on the
restart. Schwarzer made some good stops from the impressive Bastian
Schweinsteiger and then Frings, before Friedrich was impeded by Ljubo
Milicevic for a penalty on the hour. Ballack converted and restored a
degree of assurance to the eager but incoherent hosts. Lukas Podolski
continued his excellent scoring record in adding the decisive fourth
with minutes remaining, but even then the Germans continued to flirt
with ignominy by conceding a third goal to Skoko after an impressive
Kahn save.

The win eases Klinsmann's men into the tournament with a necessary
win, but this Germany is a work-in-progress that offers much scope
for laborious improvement.

*********************************

Despite loosing, it's a great result for Australia!

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:41:42 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: European Club Football Ranking (June 13th)

1. Chelsea.......................100.00...0
2. Barcelona......................99.24...0
3. Real Madrid....................97.76...0
4. AC Milan.......................97.28...0
5. Arsenal........................90.08...0
6. Real Betis Seville.............89.24...+2
7. Manchester United..............87.82...-1
8. Liverpool......................87.70...-1
9. Juventus.......................86.72...0
10.Bayern Munich..................85.98...0
11.Villarreal.....................85.96...0
12.Inter Milan....................84.88...0
13.Lyon...........................83.04...0
14.Espanyol.......................79.70...0
15.PSV Eindhoven..................78.45...0
16.Valencia.......................76.75...0
17.Athletic Bilbao................73.00...0
18.Malaga.........................72.22...0
19.Seville........................72.09...0
20.Sporting Lisbon................72.00...0
Some others:
34.Osasuna........................67.40...+2
37.Club Brugge....................65.87...0
42.CSKA Moscow....................63.91...-4
44.Tottenham Hotspur..............63.59...0
64.Galatasaray....................59.94...0
69.Aston Villa....................58.94...0
95.Wisla Krakow...................54.60...+3
158.Groclin-Dyskobolia Grodzisk...44.47...-11
178.Lokomotiv Moscow..............42.79...+3
203.Aalborg.......................39.38...+10
231.Tavriya Simferopol............37.43...+18
252.Fredrikstad...................35.89...+17
267.Lech Poznan...................35.18...+22
287.CSCA Kiev.....................33.75...+23
303.Viborg........................32.85...-21
336.Gornik Zabrze.................30.67...-24
385.Serif Tiraspol................26.44...-10
395.Odra Wodzislaw................25.65...-17
414.Alania Vladikavkaz............24.16...-10
469.BATE Barysau..................19.31...-8
492.Fylkir........................17.33...+6
527.Vetra Rudiskes................14.91...-17
592.Merkuur Tartu..................9.79...-8
625.Dinamo Yerevan.................7.20...-4

The computer-generated ranking of Europe's top football clubs, is
based on each club's performance over its past 50 games. Numerous
criteria are used, including a special weighting to reflect current
form. Each team's rating is expressed as a percentage of the top-
ranked team. In principle, it includes all domestic and European
games played up to and including Sunday 12th June 2005. You can check
the dates of the latest games included for each country. Newly
promoted teams will be given a provisional rating after 25 games.

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:05:20 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Netherlands close in on lead trio

The 74 World Cup qualifiers and 36 friendlies played around the world
over the last four weeks have made their mark on the latest FIFA
World Ranking. Nevertheless, Brazil comfortably retain top spot
despite dropping points after a defeat in Argentina.

Having bagged more points than any other country this month, the
Netherlands (4th, up 1) could soon be the World Cup holders' nearest
pursuers. Two wins over much lower-ranked opponents mean that Czech
Republic do not make up any ground and Argentina also fail to rein in
the leaders after going down to Ecuador before getting back on track
with the victory over Brazil.

Outside the top ten, Denmark (16th, up 3), Colombia (25th, up 3),
Russia (27th, up 3), Ukraine (35th, up 4), Switzerland (42nd, up 3),
Slovakia (43rd, up 5) and Israel (47th, up 3) all make useful gains.
Further down the ladder, the progress of Togo (67th, up 12), Congo DR
(68th, up 9), Guinea (83rd, up 9) and Iceland (90th, up 7) also
catches the eye.

Weighing up points gained this month alongside current points totals
sees the Netherlands crowned Mover of the Month ahead of Togo and
Congo DR. Meanwhile, Ukraine lead the way in the race for the Best
Mover of the Year title.

1. Brazil......................0...829
2. Czech Republic..............0...790
3. Argentina...................0...785
4. Netherlands................+1...783
5. France.....................-1...765
6. Mexico.....................+1...759
7. England....................-1...757
8. Portugal...................+1...755
9. Spain......................-1...747
10.USA.........................0...744
11.Italy......................-1...725
12.Sweden.....................+1...722
13.Greece.....................-1...720
14.Turkey......................0...719
15.Republic of Ireland.........0...714
16.Denmark....................+3...713
17.Iran.......................+1...711
18.Japan......................-1...710
18.Uruguay....................-2...710
20.Korea Republic.............+1...696
Some others:
24.Costa Rica.................-3...684
25.Colombia...................+3...673
27.Russia.....................+3...669
29.Nigeria....................-4...665
35.Ukraine....................+4...640
37.Senegal....................-4...639
40.Finland....................-3...621
42.Switzerland................+3...616
43.Slovakia...................+5...607
47.Belgium....................-5...600
47.Israel.....................+3...600
49.Serbia and Montenegro......-3...598
67.Togo.......................+12..559
68.Congo DR...................+9...557
70.Cuba.......................-6...554
73.Zambia.....................-5...550
74.Qatar......................-7...548
79.Wales......................-5...534
83.Guinea.....................+9...511
86.Albania....................+7...503
90.Iceland....................+7...496
93.Syria......................-8...493
94.Korea DPR..................-6...492
99.Singapore..................+5...472
106.New Zealand...............-7...454
111.Congo.....................+6...428
115.Uganda....................-5...424
126.Swaziland.................+5...373
128.Faroe Islands.............+5...365
135.Andorra...................+3...348
156.Bermuda...................+3...248
175.Pakistan..................+2...166

***************************

Damn, Belgium still sucks!
Good to see Andorra winning a few spots :)

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:58:30 -0000
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nervy Germans win cup cracker

Plus, Germany was not that impressive. Lacks imagination.

--- In worldsoccerclub2@yahoogroups.com, "jer_vanlint"
<jer_vanlint@y...> wrote:
> Germany beat Australia 4-3 in Frankfurt on Wednesday evening to
get
> the 2005 Confederations' Cup up and running with a bang.
>
> While Argentina kicked the tournament off with a 2-1 win over
Tunisia
> earlier in the day, the real business got underway at the
Waldstadion
> with Jürgen Klinsmann's hosts entertaining Australia in the second
of
> Group A's opening round of fixtures.
>
> A large crowd was treated to a rollercoaster first half with Kevin
> Kuranyi deflecting an Arne Friedrich drive past Mark Schwarzer
after
> 17 minutes. However, the Australians had started well and
responded
> immediately when Josip Skoko drilled a free-kick under the German
> wall and past a despairing Oliver Kahn. Torsten Frings had much to
> blush over for it was the Werder Bremen man who was largely at
fault
> for undermining his goalkeeper's defensive barrier. Indeed,
Frings's
> display was lacking in all departments early on as his inability
to
> make any impression on the game hampered Michael Ballack's
attempts
> to take control of the midfield. Despite the set-back, Germany
showed
> tremendous heart in hitting back within minutes. Per Mertesacker
> volleyed home emphatically after excellent attacking play from
Bernd
> Schneider. Yet the hosts had not learned their lesson and were
hauled
> back on 31 minutes after some lovely combination play bisected
their
> rearguard and presented John Aloisi with the opportunity to finish
> past an exposed Kahn. The former Coventry City and Portsmouth
striker
> obliged with glee to leave the Waldstadion in a state of unrest as
> the first period ended.
>
> Australia's midfield supremacy disappeared with the interval, and
a
> fired-up Germany finally began to exert genuine control on the
> restart. Schwarzer made some good stops from the impressive
Bastian
> Schweinsteiger and then Frings, before Friedrich was impeded by
Ljubo
> Milicevic for a penalty on the hour. Ballack converted and
restored a
> degree of assurance to the eager but incoherent hosts. Lukas
Podolski
> continued his excellent scoring record in adding the decisive
fourth
> with minutes remaining, but even then the Germans continued to
flirt
> with ignominy by conceding a third goal to Skoko after an
impressive
> Kahn save.
>
> The win eases Klinsmann's men into the tournament with a necessary
> win, but this Germany is a work-in-progress that offers much scope
> for laborious improvement.
>
> *********************************
>
> Despite loosing, it's a great result for Australia!

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:00:00 -0000
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Netherlands close in on lead trio

IRAN BEST IN ASIA!!!!!!!

--- In worldsoccerclub2@yahoogroups.com, "jer_vanlint"
<jer_vanlint@y...> wrote:
> The 74 World Cup qualifiers and 36 friendlies played around the
world
> over the last four weeks have made their mark on the latest FIFA
> World Ranking. Nevertheless, Brazil comfortably retain top spot
> despite dropping points after a defeat in Argentina.
>
> Having bagged more points than any other country this month, the
> Netherlands (4th, up 1) could soon be the World Cup holders'
nearest
> pursuers. Two wins over much lower-ranked opponents mean that
Czech
> Republic do not make up any ground and Argentina also fail to rein
in
> the leaders after going down to Ecuador before getting back on
track
> with the victory over Brazil.
>
> Outside the top ten, Denmark (16th, up 3), Colombia (25th, up 3),
> Russia (27th, up 3), Ukraine (35th, up 4), Switzerland (42nd, up
3),
> Slovakia (43rd, up 5) and Israel (47th, up 3) all make useful
gains.
> Further down the ladder, the progress of Togo (67th, up 12), Congo
DR
> (68th, up 9), Guinea (83rd, up 9) and Iceland (90th, up 7) also
> catches the eye.
>
> Weighing up points gained this month alongside current points
totals
> sees the Netherlands crowned Mover of the Month ahead of Togo and
> Congo DR. Meanwhile, Ukraine lead the way in the race for the Best
> Mover of the Year title.
>
>
> 1. Brazil......................0...829
> 2. Czech Republic..............0...790
> 3. Argentina...................0...785
> 4. Netherlands................+1...783
> 5. France.....................-1...765
> 6. Mexico.....................+1...759
> 7. England....................-1...757
> 8. Portugal...................+1...755
> 9. Spain......................-1...747
> 10.USA.........................0...744
> 11.Italy......................-1...725
> 12.Sweden.....................+1...722
> 13.Greece.....................-1...720
> 14.Turkey......................0...719
> 15.Republic of Ireland.........0...714
> 16.Denmark....................+3...713
> 17.Iran.......................+1...711
> 18.Japan......................-1...710
> 18.Uruguay....................-2...710
> 20.Korea Republic.............+1...696
> Some others:
> 24.Costa Rica.................-3...684
> 25.Colombia...................+3...673
> 27.Russia.....................+3...669
> 29.Nigeria....................-4...665
> 35.Ukraine....................+4...640
> 37.Senegal....................-4...639
> 40.Finland....................-3...621
> 42.Switzerland................+3...616
> 43.Slovakia...................+5...607
> 47.Belgium....................-5...600
> 47.Israel.....................+3...600
> 49.Serbia and Montenegro......-3...598
> 67.Togo.......................+12..559
> 68.Congo DR...................+9...557
> 70.Cuba.......................-6...554
> 73.Zambia.....................-5...550
> 74.Qatar......................-7...548
> 79.Wales......................-5...534
> 83.Guinea.....................+9...511
> 86.Albania....................+7...503
> 90.Iceland....................+7...496
> 93.Syria......................-8...493
> 94.Korea DPR..................-6...492
> 99.Singapore..................+5...472
> 106.New Zealand...............-7...454
> 111.Congo.....................+6...428
> 115.Uganda....................-5...424
> 126.Swaziland.................+5...373
> 128.Faroe Islands.............+5...365
> 135.Andorra...................+3...348
> 156.Bermuda...................+3...248
> 175.Pakistan..................+2...166
>
> ***************************
>
> Damn, Belgium still sucks!
> Good to see Andorra winning a few spots :)

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:01:20 -0000
From: "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@yahoo.com>
Subject: Brazil and Mexico Win

Brazil 3 Greece 0 in a very easy game for the Brazilians
Mexico 2 Japan 1 in a game that was easy and should have reflected a 2
or 3 goal difference...but we are not Brazil...

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:05:53 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nervy Germans win cup cracker

But I still believe they have a decent team.
Much better than during the 2002 WC, even if they reached the final
then...

--- In worldsoccerclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel"
<manuelgon_1999@y...> wrote:
>
> Plus, Germany was not that impressive. Lacks imagination.
>
> --- In worldsoccerclub2@yahoogroups.com, "jer_vanlint"
> <jer_vanlint@y...> wrote:
> > Germany beat Australia 4-3 in Frankfurt on Wednesday evening to
> get
> > the 2005 Confederations' Cup up and running with a bang.
> >
> > While Argentina kicked the tournament off with a 2-1 win over
> Tunisia
> > earlier in the day, the real business got underway at the
> Waldstadion
> > with Jürgen Klinsmann's hosts entertaining Australia in the
second
> of
> > Group A's opening round of fixtures.
> >
> > A large crowd was treated to a rollercoaster first half with
Kevin
> > Kuranyi deflecting an Arne Friedrich drive past Mark Schwarzer
> after
> > 17 minutes. However, the Australians had started well and
> responded
> > immediately when Josip Skoko drilled a free-kick under the German
> > wall and past a despairing Oliver Kahn. Torsten Frings had much
to
> > blush over for it was the Werder Bremen man who was largely at
> fault
> > for undermining his goalkeeper's defensive barrier. Indeed,
> Frings's
> > display was lacking in all departments early on as his inability
> to
> > make any impression on the game hampered Michael Ballack's
> attempts
> > to take control of the midfield. Despite the set-back, Germany
> showed
> > tremendous heart in hitting back within minutes. Per Mertesacker
> > volleyed home emphatically after excellent attacking play from
> Bernd
> > Schneider. Yet the hosts had not learned their lesson and were
> hauled
> > back on 31 minutes after some lovely combination play bisected
> their
> > rearguard and presented John Aloisi with the opportunity to
finish
> > past an exposed Kahn. The former Coventry City and Portsmouth
> striker
> > obliged with glee to leave the Waldstadion in a state of unrest
as
> > the first period ended.
> >
> > Australia's midfield supremacy disappeared with the interval, and
> a
> > fired-up Germany finally began to exert genuine control on the
> > restart. Schwarzer made some good stops from the impressive
> Bastian
> > Schweinsteiger and then Frings, before Friedrich was impeded by
> Ljubo
> > Milicevic for a penalty on the hour. Ballack converted and
> restored a
> > degree of assurance to the eager but incoherent hosts. Lukas
> Podolski
> > continued his excellent scoring record in adding the decisive
> fourth
> > with minutes remaining, but even then the Germans continued to
> flirt
> > with ignominy by conceding a third goal to Skoko after an
> impressive
> > Kahn save.
> >
> > The win eases Klinsmann's men into the tournament with a
necessary
> > win, but this Germany is a work-in-progress that offers much
scope
> > for laborious improvement.
> >
> > *********************************
> >
> > Despite loosing, it's a great result for Australia!

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:07:29 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brazil and Mexico Win

So, what will be the outcome of Brazil-Mexico? ;)
I believe Mexico is in a 17 undefeated game serie.

--- In worldsoccerclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel" <manuelgon_1999@y...>
wrote:
>
>
> Brazil 3 Greece 0 in a very easy game for the Brazilians
> Mexico 2 Japan 1 in a game that was easy and should have reflected a
2
> or 3 goal difference...but we are not Brazil...

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

Message: 11
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:35:17 -0000
From: "jer_vanlint" <jer_vanlint@yahoo.com>
Subject: 'Ice-pick that killed Trotsky' found in Mexico

One of the most notorious murder weapons in modern history, the ice-
pick that killed Leon Trotsky, appears to have been found, 65 years
after it was apparently stolen from the Mexican police.

The daughter of a former secret service agent claims she has the
steel mountaineering instrument, which is stained with the blood of
the Russian revolutionary.

Exiled by Joseph Stalin, Trotsky lived a relatively settled life in a
leafy suburb of Mexico City until his death in 1940.

Trotsky was always fearful of assassination attempts organised by
Stalin. He was finally caught off guard by Ramon Mercader, who on
August 20 1940 got access to him on the pretext of needing help.
Once in the study, Mercader struck the creator of the Red Army in the
head from behind with the shortened pick he had hidden under his
clothes.

Murderer and ice-pick were taken into custody but the weapon later
disappeared.

Now Ana Alicia Salas says her father, Commander Alfredo Salas, stole
the pick because he wanted to preserve it for posterity.

Trotsky's grandson Seva Volkov, who lived with his grandfather at the
time and still lives in Mexico, is willing to provide samples for a
DNA test against the blood on the handle only if Salas donates the
pick to the museum in the house where the murder took place.

But she said: "I am looking for some financial benefit. I think
something as historically important at this should be worth
something, no?"

*****************************

Next on ebay :)

________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldsoccerclub2/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
worldsoccerclub2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home